250g plain flour
Tarte au Citron
For the filling:
2 large eggs
100g caster sugar
150g ground almonds
100g whipping cream
200g granulated sugar
1. For the pastry mix the first four ingredients to a sandy texture, then beat in the butter to make a dough. Chill for an hour, then use to line a 23cm (9in) loose-bottomed flan tin. Set oven to 180-190ºC
2. For the filling, beat together the first four ingredients, then grate in the rind of 4 lemons, and add the juice of 2 only. This leaves you with 2 whole lemons and 2 minus their outer zest.
3. Put the filling into the pastry. Bake in the heated oven for 25 minutes or so until nicely browned.
4. Meanwhile, slice the untouched lemons thinly, discarding the end pieces and the pips. Put the slices into a pan, cover with water and simmer them gently.
5. Remove the pith from the remaining 2 lemons and, slice them thinly as well. When the peel of the first lot of slices of lemon begins to soften, add the second lot of slices, and continue simmering until tender. Drain well.
6. Make syrup by dissolving the sugar in the water in a shallow pan. When the syrup is clear, bring it to boiling point, then simmer gently for 2 – 3 minutes or until thick. Slip in the lemon slices and cook them for 15 minutes or until candied and soft.
7. Arrange the slices on the lemon tart, the ones with the peel on the outside, the others in the centre. Brush the syrup over the lemon slices. Serve hot, warm or cold, with extra cream if you like.
Back to Recipe Index