There are numerous versions of this Provençal hors-d'uvre but all have in common the basic ingredients of lettuce, eggs, anchovy fillets, black olives and tomatoes.
250g French beans
250g firm tomatoes
1 lettuce heart
1 green pepper
150ml garlic-flavoured French dressing
100g tin of tuna fish
small tin anchovy fillets
50g small black olives
1. Hardboil the eggs for 8-10 minutes, then plunge them into cold water. Shell and quarter them, and set aside to cool.
2. Top and tail the French beans, wash them and cook in boiling salted water for 5-8 minutes; drain and set aside to cool.
3. Skin the tomatoes and cut into quarters. Peel and thinly slice the onion, break it into individual rings. Wash and dry the lettuce. Clean the pepper, cut out the core and seeds, and slice it thinly.
4. Put half the French dressing in a shallow bowl and toss the shredded lettuce and beans in it. Drain and flake the tuna fish and arrange it, with the drained anchovy fillets, olives, green pepper and onion rings, on top of the lettuce and beans. Surround with the quartered tomatoes and hardboiled eggs.
5. Sprinkle over the remaining dressing and serve the salad immediately.
Back to Recipe Index