Preparation Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 50 min
2 large courgettes
2 large aubergines
5 large tomatoes
1 large green pepper
1 small red pepper
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
6 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and black pepper
1. Cut the stalks off the courgettes and aubergines. Wash well and cut them crossways into 2cm thick slices. Put them in a colander, cover with a plate and weight this down; leave for 1 hour to press out excessive moisture.
2. Skin the tomatoes and chop them roughly.
3. Wash the peppers, remove the white inner ribs and all seeds, and dice the flesh.
4. Peel and coarsely chop the onion and garlic.
5. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes over low heat until transparent.
6. Add the peppers, cook for a further 10 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and cook the mixture over low heat for 35 minutes, stirring from time to time. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Serve ratatouille hot on its own or with grilled or fried meat.
Back to Recipe Index