(Braised red cabbage)
Chou Rouge BraisÚ
Red cabbage is cooked with acid ingredients - vinegar, lemon juice, apples - to preserve its colour.
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium head of red cabbage, cored and shredded
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper
2 tart apples, peeled, cored and diced
1. Set the oven at moderate, 150║C (35O║F) gas 4.
2. Melt the butter in a large pan and sautÚ the onion until soft but not brown.
3. Add the cabbage and stir over heat until well coated with butter.
4. Pour over the vinegar and lemon juice and stir well.
5. Add salt, pepper and the apples; cover the pan and braise in the oven, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender but still slightly crisp.
Back to Recipe Index